Saturday, August 11, 2007

Guangzhou Day Two -- Continued

After we completed the baby's medical exam this morning, Eugenio and I spent a few hours hanging out in the room with Jennifer Rose (Rachel and Etu were busy shopping). Then R came back and we got some good videos of us playing with J Ro. As much as she's a very cuddly and sweet baby, her "very, very strong-willed" nature seems to come out more and more each day. She seems to decide whether she wants us to sit with her or stand with her or whether she wants to take a nap or not. So far, there's no going against her will. We just want to do whatever we can to make her happy.

Right now, it's just after 9 p.m. and R is in the bedroom trying to get the baby to stop crying. Why is she crying? We already fed her and she doesn't seem to want any more of her bottle. She doesn't need a diaper change. We think she may have some teeth coming in. The other theory is that she may be getting an earache (she has been pulling on her ears a little). Etu and Eugenio don't think that's the problem. Still, it's hard to hear her cry and not be able to make it stop. Ok - I'm off to try to help R. More later.

Ok - I'm back now. It's almost 11 p.m. The baby finally stopped crying but only after a mini-drama where we called on Elaine and Etu to come in and advise us on whether to give the baby some baby Tylenol (we decided "yes). Then we had to see if the baby had a fever (consensus was "no"). I was hovering around worrying and not making things any easier so R sent me next door to Scott and Elaine's room where Scott had a bottle of Johnny Walker Black scotch and Jim, Scott, and I each had a drink while Elaine went in the other room to check on R and the baby (I realize that's not what the baby books say on how to deal with one of these situations, but it seemed to work for us). By the time I got back, the baby was fast asleep and R was happily surfing the Internet on our computer. Elaine said the baby was fine - there was no fever and the baby was just acting like, well, a baby. I don't like this lack of precision thing. I want to know what the heck is the reason for everything so I can anticipate and make things perfect. It's going to take me a while to get used to things not being that way.

Meanwhile, R and I both have full-blown colds. We just ordered more tea with honey and I have been downing Sudafed. We feel like this is one of those around the world races and we are lagging with another few thousand miles to go. But we'll pull through. As long as the baby is healty, that's all we care about. But seriously, everyone in our group except Etu and Eugenio (and the babies) is dealing with some malady and we just want to finish up all of the adoption paperwork so we can get home. Ok - off to bed now.







J & R

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't put a strong willed label on J Ro, Getting your own way, or trying to, is a common comfort zone reflex action. Later when they start speaking, it manifests it's self as the 'me do stage' Love, Aunt Ev

Anonymous said...

Joseph:
Will you teach me the 'pooper scooper' song when you get back? :)

Danielle

Anonymous said...

Love the song, Joseph! Is this an original artist recording?

Joe & Debbie

Anonymous said...

Just viewed the Videos. J Ro seems very reponsive. She wants to please you by picking up an english vocabulary to do your bidding, as long as they're fun things. She's enjoying all the attention she's getting, allmost as much as you enjoy giving it. I compleately understand your wanting to be home already, I've allways felt that way near the end of most trips. The memories of this journey will stay with you forever. Love, Aunt Ev

Anonymous said...

Loving the videos! Loving your stories!!
Carole
Oregon

Anonymous said...

Please pass on, S site won't work:
Thank you, its fun reading all three blogs, F,H,& yours. I love getting to them & reading the different reactions. I'm particularly sympathetic to your health problems as, away back when, I had a few similar. Anyway they too will pass, and both of you, and your lovely daughters are wished the mostest and the bestest,
J Ro's, Great. Aunt Evelyn